The Hospitality & Tourism Industry is one of the largest foreign exchange earners in Kenya. Tourism accounts for over 10% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP). Tourism is highly labour intensive and therefore the quality and quantity of human capital is critical to its success. This programme seeks to address the skills needed in hospitality and tourism operations. The Diploma will take a maximum of two (2) years. By the end of the course, students shall have been exposed to both course work and industrial attachment of a minimum of three (3) months.
There is need to enhance professionalism in the provision of services to clients. Entrants to the Hospitality & Tourism industry need to acquire the right skills and attitudes to offer quality services to both domestic and international tourists.
1.2 Purpose of the Course
The main objective of the course is to equip students with knowledge and practical skills to enable them to work in the hospitality and tourism industry. Besides, the course will offer training that serves as a foundation for further education in hospitality and tourism discipline.
2.0 Admission Requirements
Candidates must satisfy the university’s general admission criteria for Diploma programmes.
- Candidates must have obtained a mean grade of C (Plain) at KCSE or equivalent and C-(minus) grade in two (2) subjects chosen from (Alternative A) Biology Chemistry English/Kiswahili OR (Alternative B) Home Science, Biological Science/Physical Sciences/Mathematics English/Kiswahili.
- Mean grade C-(minus) at KCSE with a Certificate in a field related to hospitality from a recognized Institution and two (2) years of relevant experience.
3.0 Study Deferment
A student may defer studies at any time, for good cause conveyed in writing to the Academic Registrar, and may resume later after duly notifying the Academic Registrar.
4.0 Award of Certificate
A candidate who successfully completes the course shall be awarded Diploma in Hospitality and Tourism Management of Machakos University.
5.0 Career Prospects
Upon successful completion of the diploma course, our students have a wide span of employment opportunities in the hospitality and tourism service oriented establishments such as:
- Hotels and Restaurants.
- Events planning companies
- Hospitals and membership clubs.
- Airline and railway travel, travel agents and tour operation firms
- National and County government tourism agencies and departments
- National parks, conservations, museums and cultural centres
- Entrepreneurship in Tourism and Hospitality SMEs